Astroworld: Fire confirms says ‘at least eight fatalities’

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Piers Morgan, 56, was among those horrified by the events that unravelled at Travis Scott’s Astroworld concert last week. The gig left eight people dead and many others injured after a huge crowd surge caused by what city officials described as a “mass casualty event”.

By then, it was too late to save any lives

Piers Morgan

Following the tragedy, the 30-year-old star issued a statement on social media saying his prayers went out to the families of those impacted by the terrible incident.

He wrote: “I’m absolutely devastated by what took place last night.

“My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival.

“Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life,” he added.

Travis went on: “I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need.

“Thank you to Houston PD, fire department and NRG Park for their immediate response and support. Love you all,” he signed off.

While an investigation into the incident is on-going, many have shared their thoughts on the catastrophe and sent their condolences to the families of those who died.

Piers also addressed the situation in his column for the MailOnline, where he hit out at the singer.

He penned: “Travis Scott wants us to know he’s ‘just devastated’ about the horrific deaths of eight of his fans at a concert on Friday.

“In a tormented Instagram post the following night, the rap superstar repeatedly stroked his hair in apparent anguish as he said, ‘I could never imagine anything like this happening.'”

Piers went on to list some of the terrifying tales from fans who were caught up in the madness, while pointing out “the singer continued to perform”.

Speaking of footage filmed by those involved, he went on: “In another clip, Scott shouts at the crowd, ‘I want to see some rages. Who wants to rage?’ but then just moments later he sees an ambulance enter the arena and says, ‘There’s an ambulance in the crowd, whoa, whoa, whoa’ before continuing to sing a few seconds later.

“The show only ends 40 minutes after city officials say a ‘mass casualty event’ had begun.

“By then, it was too late to save any lives.”

Piers retorted: “And forgive me if I find Mr Scott’s shocked disbelief to be a load of disingenuous self-protective claptrap.

“If there was one nailed-down guarantee, it was that something terrible like this might one day happen at one of his concerts.

“This is a man who thrives on chaos and mayhem during live performances.”

He referenced Travis’ previous misdemeanour convictions, for the way he has “illegally incited his fans to ignore safety protocols” in 2015 and 2017.

Piers ended his rant on a solemn note: “For years, Travis Scott has extended his middle finger to crowd safety and security.

“On Friday night, that shamefully reckless attitude to the welfare of his own fans led to a deadly disaster.

“He can pretend he’s shocked and can’t believe it happened. But these are the weasly words of a man now facing civil and possibly criminal court action, desperate not to be blamed for crowd activity that his incendiary rhetoric for many years has encouraged.”

He added: “Travis Scott has the blood of his dead fans on his extended middle finger.”

Source: Read Full Article