A week after the accidental shooting of Halyna Hutchins on the set of western film Rust, investigators have said they’re ‘not exactly sure’ of the whereabouts of actor Alec Baldwin.
Baldwin fired the prop gun which hit director of cinematographer Hutchins, 42, as well as director Joel Souza, 48, during a rehearsal for a scene on Thursday. Hutchins was airlifted to hospital but died from her injuries; Souza was later released from hospital.
At a press conference on Wednesday, Santa Fe sheriff Adan Mendoza and Santa Fe district attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies shared a public update on the ongoing investigation.
Asked whether the actor was still in New Mexico, Mendoza said: ‘He’s been cooperative but I’m not exactly sure of his present whereabouts.’
It was noted Baldwin – who remains ‘an active part of this investigation’ – has been cooperating with police amid interviews and searches.
He was last seen on Saturday morning leaving a New Mexico hotel with Hutchins’ husband Matthew Hutchins, and the pair’s nine-year-old son, Andros.
In the wake of the shooting, with production on the Bonanza Creek set paused, a person reported to be an assistant of the Baldwin family was also seen packing up a car outside the family’s New York residence amid reports it was headed to their estate in the Hamptons.
However, it’s since been claimed by Fox News the estate is being renovated.
The actor’s Twitter account has remained active since Hutchins’ death, after Baldwin shared a statement sharing his shock over the shooting.
He has since retweeted news articles, including a New York Times piece on Wednesday about the incident.
Mendoza confirmed that the investigation is ongoing and charges may be filed at a later date, if probable cause is found, and told reporters that ‘no-one has been ruled out’ so far.
‘I want to ensure the victims, their families, and the public that we are conducting a thorough and objective investigation, he explained. ‘In reference to possible charges, it’s too early right now in the investigation to comment on charges at this point.’
Mendoza continued: ‘The investigation will continue and if the sheriff’s office determines during our investigation that a crime has occurred and probable cause exists then an arrest or arrests will be made and charges will be filed.
‘Otherwise, we will complete our investigation and for the full investigation and evidence to the district attorney for review.’
‘No one has been ruled out at this point,’ Carmack-Altwies added while answering questions from the press in attendance.
During the press conference, it was revealed authorities believe they have in their possession the firearm that was fired by Alec Baldwin, as well as the spent shell casing from the ‘live round’ that was fired from the gun.
Approximately 500 rounds of ammunition, including blanks, were also collected from the set, as well as three firearms in total, Mendoza revealed.
It was confirmed Baldwin was the last one to hold the gun, after he was handed it by assistant director David Halls, who took the revolver from a tray set up by armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. It was said the gun was first taken out of a safe in a truck by prop master Sarah Zachry.
In a statement on his Twitter, Baldwin previously said: ‘There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours.
‘I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family.
‘My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.’
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Source: Read Full Article