AUTUMN is well and truly setting in and, as days get colder and shorter it’s time to make some changes.
Of course, that means dusting off your coat and boots – but it also means changing up your repertoire in the kitchen. Goodbye summer salads, and hello winter warmers.
When it comes to mid-week meals, most of us stick to the same stock recipes, but, as they say, a change is as good as a rest.
Many of us think about fish as a summer staple, but it goes really well in more wintry recipes too.
Plus, it’s high in vitamins and minerals, protein rich and dense in Omega-3, so there are some great health benefits from adding more fish into your diet.
We’ve teamed up with Love Seafood to bring you two quick, easy and affordable mid-week meals that will help you add more fish into your diet.
The two recipes below are fresh takes on family favourites and will warm your tummies and put smiles on faces all winter long.
Italian-Style Fish Stew
- 400g boneless, skinless cod loin or fillets
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube
- 500ml passata with garlic
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano or mixed Italian herbs
- 500g pack gnocchi
- 1 bag chopped kale, stalks removed
- Crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- Prepare the fish by patting it dry with kitchen roll, then cut it into 5cm chunks. Cover and set aside.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 500ml boiling water.
- Put the passata, chopped tomatoes, herbs and stock into a large pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce by one third.
- Add the gnocchi and kale and bring back to a simmer to allow the gnocchi and kale to cook through.
- Gently drop the cod chunks into the stew and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the cod is cooked through and flakes easily.
- Serve the stew in large bowls, with fresh crusty bread, if desired.
Tuna pasta bake
- 2 cans tuna in spring water, drained and broken into chunks
- 200g uncooked penne pasta
- 420g bag of pre-chopped chunky Mediterranean vegetables
- 485g jar of Tuna Pasta Bake sauce
- 125g grated cheese e.g. cheddar, mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Put the pasta and vegetables into a large ovenproof dish. Empty the jar of sauce over the top, then fill the empty jar with water (give it a shake to get all the sauce out of it!) and add to the dish. Stir well to coat all the pasta and veg, then add the tuna to the dish and stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Place the bake in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the dish from the oven and scatter over the cheese. Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden and the pasta is cooked through.
Source: Read Full Article