The Australian production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child could make a return to the stage by February following the release of a national cabinet endorsed blueprint setting out formal steps to reopening.

Producer Michael Cassel said he would now reapply to the Victorian government to open Harry Potter to full house audiences in the New Year, and the NSW government for Hamilton at the Lyric Theatre in March.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child could be back on stage in Melbourne as early as February.Credit:Tim Carrafa

"We have already but now this template will provide and weight and reference for us to navigate the path between health authorities and government," Mr Cassel said.

"Until now it's basically been a bit of a shemozzle. It's been a very grey [area] where at least now we know what the benchmarks are. There is always going to be discretion from state governments but for us, it gives us a very good foundation to get these shows open."

Harry Potter, which Cassel estimates injected $244 million in the Victorian economy in its first year, has been shuttered since March 13.

The three-step plan applies to live shows, performances and gigs and recommends live performance venues reach 75 per cent capacity where there are no new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 for 14 days and no cases in either high transmission settings, or hard to reach populations, a benchmark Victoria has already made. On Friday, Victoria recorded its 21st consecutive day of no new coronavirus cases or deaths.

The Sydney Costume Shop of the Canal Road Studio in Leichhardt where 400 pieces of costume clothing are being made for the cast of Hamilton.Credit:Steven Siewert

Queensland preempted the road map last week announcing a return to full capacity for live performance venues. In NSW, theatre venues are operating at half capacity and have been encouraged to apply for exemptions from NSW Health. Pippin, the first large scale musical theatre production to open in Australia since COVID-19 shutdown, has applied to play before 75 per cent capacity audiences when it opens next week.

Minister for Communication and Arts, Paul Fletcher, also announced $60 million of $75 million had been allocated from the Restart Investment to Sustain and Expand (RISE) fund announced in June.

More than 300 organisations and artists had applied by September for such support which Federal Labor had claimed had been too slow to roll out given the immediate crisis facing the arts sector.

Mr Fletcher said funds would "start to fly almost immediately" with 115 projects supported. The great bulk would of funding – 71 percent – had gone to small to medium-sized organisations, with 21 per cent allocated to arts companies in regional areas. Grants ranged between $50,000 and almost $2 million.

Mr Fletcher said the funding allocation had been "front end loaded" with unsuccessful organisations and others invited to reapply for the remaining $15 million.

The announcement was made in the Sydney Costume Shop of the Canal Road Studio in Leichhardt where 400 pieces of costume clothing are being made for the cast of Hamilton. In the same centre 350 pairs of shoes and 100 wigs are also bgeen crafted for the much anticipated Australian premiere.

Most Viewed in Culture

Source: Read Full Article