YouTube has joined Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in banning US President Donald Trump’s channel.

The Google-owned video site announced Tuesday it is suspending President Trump’s channel for at least a week.


Content from Trump’s channel was removed for violating YouTube’s policies and over concerns it would incite violence, YouTube said.

“After careful review, and in light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, we removed new content uploaded to the Donald J. Trump channel and issued a strike for violating our policies for inciting violence,” a YouTube spokeswoman said in a statement.

“As a result, in accordance with our long-standing strikes system, the channel is now prevented from uploading new videos or livestreams for a minimum of seven days — which may be extended.”

YouTube declined to share details of the video that earned Trump the ban, but said that after the one-week embargo, it will revisit the decision.

The tech giant added it will also be disabling comments underneath videos on his channel, reported the New York Post.

YouTube also removed content from the White House's channel for violating policy.

The company also said it has issued one strike against Trump’s channel. A second strike would result in a two-week suspension and a third strike means the channel would be terminated.

The move comes after Twitter permanently banned Trump’s personal account on Friday amid the violent Capitol Hill riot.

Facebook and Instagram also blocked the President “indefinitely” from posting for at least two weeks.

The social media bans follow the mass riots at the Capitol last week, where five people including Trump loyalist Ashli Babbitt and cop Brian Sicknick were killed.

MAGA rioters stormed the Capitol building on January 6 to halt the Electoral College vote certification.



The FBI is currently probing “sedition and conspiracy” charges related to the Capitol Hill insurrection and warned that hundreds of rioters will be arrested.

The FBI said they were treating the incident "like an international counter-terrorism effort."

The bans come as the House of Representatives on Tuesday night passed a powerless resolution calling on Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove President Trump from office in light of the Capitol riot.

Before the vote in the Democrat-controlled House, Pence wrote to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi saying he would refuse to oust Trump – insisting that doing so would set a "terrible precedent."

Source: Read Full Article