Manchester City and Chelsea fans involved in clashes with Porto police and each other after bars shut at 10.30pm… with thousands more supporters set to arrive ahead of Champions League final

  • Manchester City fans celebrated Manchester United losing Europa League final 
  • Their jubilation led to violent clashes in Albufeira between those on holiday 
  • Witnesses say the military police had to intervene with batons to break it up  
  • Some Man City fans are out in Portugal ahead of the Champions League final 

English fans descending on Porto for the Champions League final were involved in violent clashes on Thursday night. 

Video footage shows a number of different skirmishes by the Douro river and supporters are said to have locked horns with the local police after the bars closed at 10.30pm. 

Local television in Porto showed footage of various incidents with Chelsea and Manchester City fans arriving ahead of Saturday night’s huge game. 

A number of fans were involved in clashes in Porto on Thursday night when the bars closed

Chelsea and Manchester City supporters are alleged to have violently clashed with police 

One clip showed a chaotic scene with a number of people running across a road, horns blaring, whistles and yells disturbing the night. 

According to reports, Chelsea and City fans clashed with Porto police and each-other in altercations that could lead to heightened security being deployed on the streets. 

The latest violence follows similarly shocking incidents on Wednesday night. Manchester United and City fans violently clashed and had to be broken up by baton-wielding military police. 

The City supporters took extra delight in seeing United lose the Europa League final on penalties on Wednesday night. 

Their jubilation in an Albufeira resort rubbed salt in the wounds for United fans and trouble flared up in popular district bar Oura, according to Portuguese outlet, Expresso. 

An eyewitness told the Sun: ‘That set off pushing and shoving followed by fighting in the street.

‘Military police had to wade in with batons to break it up.’   

There were no serious injuries sustained in the skirmishes and as yet no reports of anyone being arrested or charged.  

The day before, United fans watched their side lose out in devastating fashion against underdogs Villarreal on Wednesday in Gdansk and clearly emotions were running high. 

The game finished 1-1 in 90 minutes and the score remained the same in extra time. After 10 players scored for both sides, it came down to the goalkeepers taking spot kicks. 

One individual was seen lying on the ground and cars blared their horns in the night 

United’s David de Gea had his saved and the English club finished their season with a whimper and no silverware. 

City are preparing to face familiar Premier League foes Chelsea in the Champions League showpiece in the Estadio do Dragao on Saturday. 

A total of 16,500 fans are allowed to watch the game in the stadium, 33 per cent of the 50,000 capacity, but many more have travelled either in the hope of finding a ticket or simply to be in close proximity to the action while on holiday. 

Fans have to have proof of a negative PCR Covid test to enter the venue carried out from May 26 or lateral flow test from May 28. 

Porto will be braced for more violence in the coming days and may increase security

The game was originally supposed to take place in Istanbul, but the UK put Turkey on the red list. 

Many fans will take day trips on Saturday to the final and will be escorted to and from the stadium and airport to limit exposure in a Covid bubble. 

But there are others arriving in Porto who are not restricted by those measures and no doubt the local authorities will be braced for any more violence in the coming days. 

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article