Tottenham reveal the two unknown players who tested positive for coronavirus after the international break were both FALSE positives, leaving them available for the trip to Newcastle
- Spurs reported two players had tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday
- Duo would have had to self-isolate for 10 days to follow Premier League rules
- Tottenham said duo had returned false positives and will be available on Sunday
- The news will please Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo ahead of trip to Newcastle
The two Tottenham players who tested positive for COVID-19 after the international break were both false positives and will be available for the game against Newcastle.
Spurs revealed on Friday that the unnamed duo had returned positive tests after returning from international duty and training with their teammates on Thursday.
However, concerns over the two players were swiftly quelled after it emerged both players had returned a false negative test.
Tottenham have revealed the two players who tested positive on Friday were false positives
Spurs didn’t name the two players involved but said both will be available against Newcastle
‘Following a number of reports regarding the health of our players, the club would like provide clarity to events of the past 48 hours,’ Spurs said in a statement on Sunday afternoon.
‘After further analysis following Premier League protocol, two players – whose names will not be disclosed due to medical confidentiality – returned false positive tests for COVID-19 on Friday after returning from international duty.’
While the duo would have had to self-isolate for 10 days as per the Premier League COVID protocols, Spurs said on Friday no other players would have to quarantine having come into close contact.
The news will please Nuno Espirito Santo who faced selection headaches ahead of Sunday
Spurs went into the international break on a high after beating Aston Villa 2-1 at home
The news will be very welcome by Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo, who admitted on Friday he had been left with ‘huge issues’ following the latest international break.
‘After the international break, there are always huge issues that happen,’ Nuno said. ‘We have problems but I will not say before the game. You’re going to see that we have problems. We have small issues … big issues, if you want.
‘If we could, we would repeat the same XI [as against Aston Villa] because that’s the best way to start something. It will not be possible but then you have to try again, try again. We felt we were in a good place [after Villa] and we want to continue it from there. Then disruption, international break …
‘What we want when players go to the national teams is for them to return healthy. We know that each moment, it is becoming harder for them. The schedule and the demands of club and national team are really, really high. Something has to be done so the players don’t spend so much time away from the clubs.’
The Portuguese was dealt a major blow following September’s international break, when some of his players picked up injuries and three South American players – Giovani Lo Celso, Cristian Romero and Davinson Sanchez – were forced to head to Croatia for 10 days to avoid hard quarantine in England.
Spurs travel to Newcastle on Sunday afternoon, before travelling to Holland to face Vitesse Arnhem in the Europa Conference League on Thursday and then take on West Ham at the London Stadium next Sunday.
Tottenham head to St. James’ Park 10th in the table, three points adrift of fourth-placed Brighton after beating Aston Villa 2-1 in the last game before the international break.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article