Football fans returning from the Champions League Final in Portugal have been told they must self-isolate when they return to the UK.

Hundreds of Manchester City and Chelsea fans who travelled to Portugal for the Champions League final last weekend have been ordered to self-isolate for 10 days as Portugal's restrictions change to amber.

Man City supporters who travelled back to their home city at 9 am on Sunday morning have been contacted by the NHS's Test and Trace app and told to self-isolate alongside three planeloads of Chelsea fans.

However, it is speculated that up to six planes returning from the match may be affected with fans suggesting passengers on three Chelsea planes, two Manchester City planes and one Ryanair flight.

Chelsea fans have gone online to share their experiences and concerns since receiving the notification.

One posted: "It seems someone who was on our return flight has tested positive."

Another posted on Facebook: "Anyone else been captured by NHS track and trace since getting back from Porto?

"Despite two vaccinations, a negative test and no symptoms I've got to self-isolate for 10 days …Deep Joy!"

  • Royals fear 'closing door' on Harry could have 'devastating consequences' claims expert

It is unclear how many supporters have tested positive upon their return to the UK.

However, reports from MailOnline estimate over 12,000 English fans visited Porto for the weekend to watch the match or take a break in the country.

Portugal was put on the amber list following a meeting between the Westminster and devolved governments, and the Joint Biosecurity Centre, according to the BBC.

The Government's decision is a huge blow for the travel industry, as Portugal was the only viable major tourist destination on the green list when it was announced last month.

It is only 17 days since non-essential leisure travel has been permitted from Britain.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Earlier reports said popular destinations including the Spanish and Greek islands could be added to the quarantine-free travel list as more destinations open up from next Monday, the Sun reports.

But a Covid surge in Portugal sparked fears it will be added to the red list with mandatory hotel quarantine for UK arrivals – scuppering 10,000s of summer plans.

The country reported 724 cases on Wednesday – the highest since April with fears of a rise in coronavirus variants.

Following today's news, the account of the cabinet of Portugal's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs tweeted: "We take note of the British decision to remove Portugal from the 'green list' of travel, a decision that to us does not appear logical.

"Portugal continues to carry out its safe and gradual deconfinement plan, with clear rules for the safety of those who live here or visit us."

Source: Read Full Article