Four police officers covered up one of them punching a man five times during a shocking violent arrest.

Merseyside PC Darren McIntyre repeatedly hit Mark Bamber, leaving him with blood pouring from a cut to his cheek, during a welfare check on the victim's partner.

The officer flew into a rage after yelling "you better wind your f***ing neck in" and threatening to arrest the 52-year-old and put him in a cell, who replied: "Are you sure?"

McIntyre grabbed Mr Bamber, spun him around, and punched him four times to the face and once to the ribs, the Liverpool Echo reports.

His colleagues PCs Laura Grant and Lauren Buchanan-Lloyd switched off their body-worn video cameras midway through the unprovoked attack.

Neither McIntyre, the female officers or PC Garrie Burke mentioned the punches when they later all gave "inaccurate" statements about the arrest.

But their statements didn't match their own bodycam footage, which revealed Mr Bamber hadn't done anything wrong, before he was attacked.

Mr Bamber, who was arrested on suspicion of assaulting McIntyre, complained of being attacked and was later told no further action would be taken against him.

However, following an investigation by the force's Professional Standards Department, all four officers were charged over the events in Ainsdale in June 2019.

  • Paedo 'battered in prison' hours after admitting rape and kidnap of girl, 13

McIntyre, 47, of Derwent Avenue, Southport, denied assault causing actual bodily harm and perverting the course of justice – claiming Mr Bamber went to headbutt him.

Burke, 44, of Holmefield Grove, Maghull; Grant, 36, of Somerville Grove, Waterloo; and Buchanan-Lloyd, 26, of Kings Close, Higher Bebington; all denied perverting the course of justice.

A jury on Thursday found all four officers unanimously guilty of the charges, following a four-week trial at Nightingale court Liverpool Hilton Hotel.

  • 'Neo-Nazi murder cult' busted by armed police after 'preparing terrorist attacks'

The trial heard the incident unfolded after Mr Bamber's partner rang 999 saying she was feeling depressed and suicidal.

Hugh Barton, prosecuting, said a short while later she felt better, so Mr Bamber rang 999 and said an ambulance was no longer required, in the early hours of June 19.

Following protocol, paramedics decided to carry out a welfare check on the woman, who the trial heard had previously been a victim of domestic violence from Mr Bamber, leading to convictions against him for assault and criminal damage.

  • Drug dealer told police he had 'half an ounce of cocaine under his b***s'

They said they requested the support of police for their safety because the couple were known to be drinkers with mental health issues and there had been a history of domestic incidents at the address.

However, McIntyre would later concede that he had no knowledge of Mr Bamber's history of domestic violence at the time of the incident.

The four officers attended with the ambulance at around 3.30am, when Mr Bamber relayed that his partner didn't want to see them, and initially refused to let them in.

Lawyers for Burke, Grant and Buchanan-Lloyd all insisted their accounts were a substantially accurate representation of what happened.

The jury rejected the officers' accounts after around six and a half hours of deliberation.

Judge David Aubrey, QC, ordered pre-sentence reports and remanded all four officers on bail until their sentencing on May 27.

Source: Read Full Article