The suspected Liverpool bomber said to his hero taxi driver just two words before a fatal blast took his life.

Emad Al Swealmeen, 32, was named on Monday as the suspected terrorist who died detonating a homemade bomb outside Liverpool Women's Hospital on Remembrance Sunday (November 14).

The explosion was caused by a device the Iraq-born asylum seeker had been buying parts for since April, Counter Terrorism Police announced on Wednesday.

As the vehicle burst into flames parked outside the hospital, hero David Perry managed by some miracle to escape having locked Al Swealmeen inside.

Since his release from hospital, 45-year-old cabbie David has been questioned by police and again for 90 minutes by counter-terrorism officers investigating what happened in the moments before the explosion.

The interview took place at his terraced home in north Liverpool, where he lives with his wife Rachel, the ECHO reports.

A source close to the driver has told the Mirror the bomber allegedly only spoke two words – “Women’s hospital” – after he was picked up for the seven-minute car journey shortly before 11am on Remembrance Sunday.

The source said: “He didn’t say another word all the way there. The driver was not aware of anything."

David was able to scramble free seconds before his car was engulfed by flames with the suspect still inside.

His wife said later her husband was saved by “guardian angels” and that he was "lucky to be alive".

MPs yesterday suggested that an improvised explosive device known as TATP – or 'Mother of Satan' – was used by terror suspect Emad Al Swealmeen in the attack at the Women's Hospital.

The same type of bomb was previously used in the 2015 Paris attacks, the Manchester Arena bombing in 2017 and failed Parsons Green Underground attack the same year.

Home Office Minister Kit Malthouse said he could not comment on the specifics of Sunday's explosion because forensic investigations are continuing at sites across the city.

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

According to widespread reports, terror suspect Emad Al-Swealmeen was sectioned in 2015 after appearing in Liverpool Magistrates' Court for possession of a knife.

However, Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the city's specialist mental health services, confirmed this evening that Al-Swealmeen was not receiving treatment at the time of his death.

A spokesman for the trust told the ECHO: "We can confirm Emad Al-Swealmeen had previously accessed our services but was not a service user at the time of the incident."

Security Minister Damian Hinds told the ECHO police were not seeking anyone else in connection with the bombing at this stage, and no signs of a "terrorist cell" in Liverpool had emerged.

Source: Read Full Article