THE mother of Nora Quoirin says she heard "muffled voices" inside her family's holiday chalet the night her daughter vanished.

Nora, 15, who had a brain development disorder, was found dead in the Malaysian jungle in August last year – nine days after she disappeared.

And despite local authorities saying the British teen left her room by herself, her mum Meabh believes she was kidnapped.

She told an inquest, via video link from her London home, that she heard "moving voices" inside the chalet at the Dusun eco-resort about 40 miles south of Kuala Lumpur.

Irish-born Meabh said she also heard "muffled sounds" at the front of the resort on the night Nora vanished,.

She said it sounded like young people partying.

The court heard how Nora's mum fell into a deep sleep and did not get out of her bed because she wanted to "avoid waking up and exacerbating her jet-lag."

She said she was not concerned by the voices, which "felt very close" and sounded like "two people whispering", as she was not fully conscious.

"I was in between sleeping and being awake, so I wasn't really processing my thoughts normally, "she said.

Nora was reported missing on August 4 last year, the day after the family arrived at the resort, after her father Sebastien discovered she was missing.

The 15-year-old had been sharing a double bed with her 12-year-old sister Innes.

Nora was born with 'holoprosencephaly', a disorder which affects the development of the brain.

Following a huge search operation, the teenager's naked body was found near a jungle stream less than two miles away from the resort.

Malaysian authorities believe Nora opened a window in the family's chalet herself and then walked through the rainforest unaided – a theory her family have rejected.

Meabh said her daughter had "a lot of physical challenges" and had issues with her motor skills and her balance and coordination.

She says the teen would tire easily and had an "awkward gait" and "would stumble" when moving fast on ground which was not flat.

Nora had problems with her "core strength" and would find sitting for long periods tiring, her mum told the inquest.

Meabh said her daughter had the mental "of about five or six" and would rarely leave her side.

She said: "She would always sit beside her mum or dad … she never went anywhere by herself."

The mother also said police were more focused on search and rescue, and only started looking for fingerprints and interviewing staff several days later, by which time many people had passed through the property.

She said that the police officer sent to take her statement also struggled to communicate effectively in English and that she had to explain herself repeatedly.

Some senior officials who later approached her were also "quite rude and arrogant", telling her to be calm and let police do their job, she said.

Police have told the inquest that an investigation showed no criminal element and that there was no indication Nora had been abducted.

The autopsy showed she succumbed to intestinal bleeding due to starvation and stress.

If you are affected by any of the issues raised in this article, please call the Samaritans for free on 116123.

Source: Read Full Article