Complaints to Ofcom over Meghan and Prince Harry’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey hits 5,380 after another 200 viewers protest
- Ofcom confirms it has received another 207 complaints about Oprah interview
- Thousands have complained since interview with Harry and Meghan was aired
- Total number of complaints since show aired on ITV currently stands at 5,380
Complains to Ofcom over Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey have hit 5,380 after another 200 viewers voiced their opposition last week.
Figures released by the broadcast regulator show that the interview, which aired on ITV on March 8, received the highest number of complaints last week with 207.
Despite airing more than three weeks ago, the show received a higher number of complaints than last week’s episode of Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, as well as broadcasts of Sky News, This Morning and Good Morning Britain.
The shocking interview saw Meghan accuse an unnamed member of the Royal Family of racism, while also stating she was denied support after revealing she was struggling with suicidal thoughts.
The figures have been published after Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby yesterday debunked claims from the couple that they were married at a secret ceremony.
Despite airing more than three weeks ago, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Oprah interview Ofcom received more complaints about the broadcast last week than any other show that aired
In her interview, Meghan raised eyebrows when she told Ms Winfrey that she and Harry were married ‘just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury’.
Justin Welby told an Italian newspaper on Monday the legal wedding was held on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at St George’s Chapel – which millions of people tuned in to watch worldwide.
He added: ‘I had a number of private and pastoral meetings with the duke and duchess before the wedding.
In her interview, Meghan raised eyebrows when she told Ms Winfrey that she and Harry were married ‘just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury’
‘The legal wedding was on the Saturday. I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offence if I signed it knowing it was false.
‘So you can make what you like about it. But the legal wedding was on the Saturday. But I won’t say what happened at any other meetings.’
In Meghan and Harry’s explosive interview with US talk-show host Ms Winfrey, the couple claimed one royal had ‘concerns’ about ‘how dark’ Archie’s skin would be.
Meghan said it was ‘a pretty safe’ assumption to suggest that the royal family member in question – who she refused to name – was ‘concerned’ that Archie being ‘too brown’ was ‘a problem’.
It was later confirmed that the person was not the Queen nor Prince Philip.
The duchess also told how she contemplated suicide but was not supported by the institution even when she begged for help.
The figures come after the Archbishop of Canterbury broke his silence on what the couple told Oprah Winfrey three weeks ago. Justin Welby said he signed Harry and Meghan’s wedding certificate on the day millions watched them marry at St George’s Chapel
Harry said he felt ‘let down’ by his father the Prince of Wales, said he was cut off financially by his family in the months before Megxit, and expressed his shock at his loss of taxpayer-funded security.
He has since spoken with his father, Prince Charles, and brother, Prince William.
A statement released on behalf of The Queen following the broadcast read: ‘The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
‘The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.
Source: Read Full Article