Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter
A ring doorbell murder suspect has been cleared from court after a jury could not reach a verdict.
Jordan Brophy was killed as he broke into a family home in Halewood, Merseyside by homeowner Karl Townsend and Jamie Cunningham.
Brophy and three other men broke into the home Townsend shared with his partner and their child on October 29 last year.
Townsend, 32, got a notification from Ring doorbell which allowed him to see burglars enter his home, Liverpool Crown Court heard.
The dad is said to have shouted at three intruders to get out of his home, before stabbing Jordan Brophy in the face and head.
Prosecutors said one of those stabs through Mr Brophy's eye left a broken blade embedded in his brain.
Richard Pratt, QC, prosecuting, described Mr Brophy’s death as an attack carried out by Townsend for “revenge or punishment” and said Cunningham was crucial in carrying it out.
Townsend, 32, admitted causing Mr Brophy’s death but said he was acting in self-defence and feared for the safety of his partner and their child.
Townsend and his half brother have both been on trial at Liverpool Crown Court for the last three weeks.
They stood accused of murder and possession of a bladed article but Cunningham, 23, was cleared of the more serious charge after almost nine hours of deliberations.
Despite being given more time to consider the case, jurors were today unable to reach a verdict on either charge against Townsend or the possession charge against Cunningham.
The city’s top judge, Andrew Menary, QC, discharged them this afternoon.
Prosecutors confirmed they intend to pursue a retrial of Townsend but said they will consider what to do about the possession charge against Cunningham later.
The case has been listed for a further hearing later this month where prosecutors will provide an update.
For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
- Breaking News
Source: Read Full Article