A cannabis grower branded as "stupid" ignited a £10,000 blaze at his family home after he used a flammable gas to process his drugs, then lit a cigarette which exploded.
Jordan Blakey suffered major burns as a result of the cigarette that went "bang".
The cannabis grower used butane to extract the cannabis and then celebrated a good day's work with a cigarette, ending in catastrophic consequences.
His bedroom at the house at The Oval, Washington, was "100% damaged by fire," Newcastle Crown Court heard.
The lad was reportedly "very lucky" to get out.
All of the other upstairs rooms were 50% destroyed by the fire but were left 100% smoke damaged.
The seriously burnt grower, who was "heavily under the influence of cannabis," approached emergency services at the scene and asked to return into the property to collect some things, Sunderland Echo reports.
25-year-old Blakely reportedly confessed to firefighters: "I'll be honest with you, I was extracting cannabis oil from the cannabis, using butane gas.
"When I finished I was stupid, didn't think, and lit a cigarette and it went bang."
The family has been forced to move out of the house while £10,000 worth of repairs are carried out by owners Gentoo.
They have also ordered that Blakely never returns back.
Firefighters reportedly found two small cannabis plants growing in an upstairs cupboard.
German shepherd's excitable reaction to finding owner's new fence has viewers howling
Experts have claimed that if anyone had been in the upstairs bedrooms at the time of the fire they would not have been able to get out of the property.
Thankfully, Blakey's mother, father and niece, were all out at the time of the incident.
Blakey pleaded guilty to arson and producing cannabis.
Never want to miss a story like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!
The 25-year-old has been sentenced to two years imprisonment, suspended for two years, with rehabilitation requirements.
Mr Recorder Mark Giuliani, who sentenced Blakely, said: "Your family had to move out of their family home and into temporary accommodation.
"Gentoo, the housing association, repaired the property at a cost to them of £10,000.
"Your family has been returned but Gentoo has forbidden you to return."
Source: Read Full Article