VIGILANT royal medics ordered Prince Philip to hospital for rest and observation after he complained of feeling unwell.
The Duke is not suffering from Covid, and had his first dose of the vaccine six weeks ago.
But after a few days of illness his medical team chose to admit him on Tuesday evening as a precaution.
Philip, 99, was driven by car 26 miles from Windsor Castle to London. He walked into King Edward VII Hospital unaided and is expected to stay several days.
A royal source said: “The Duke is in good spirits. The doctor made the decision with an abundance of caution to send him to hospital for rest and observation.”
Another source added: “It is precautionary but you can’t take any chances when you are 99-years-old.”
A Palace spokesman confirmed the Duke’s admission “on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell”. The Palace would not comment on whether it was a pre-existing condition. In recent years Philip has been admitted for bladder infections, a blocked artery and abdominal surgery.
No10 said: “The Prime Minister sends his best wishes to the Duke as he undergoes a few days of rest.”
Yesterday the Queen was busy at Windsor Castle and kept up an engagement by phone with the First Sea Lord Admiral Tony Radakin.
Philip turns 100 on June 10, with organisers planning a spectacular exhibition.
Grandson Harry is hoping to come back from the US, with pals saying he wouldn’t miss it for the world.
The Duke retired from royal duty in August 2017.
He looked fit and healthy as he walked down four steps at Windsor Castle on his last public appearance in July — where he handed over his role as Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles to Camilla.
Days earlier, on July 17, he was at Beatrice’s wedding.
Philip and the Queen have spent a lot more time together in the lockdowns.
Before the pandemic, Philip mostly lived at Wood Farm, Sandringham — more than 100 miles away from the Queen, who was usually at the Palace or Windsor.
Since last March they have been protected by 24 loyal aides, dubbed HMS Bubble.
DECADE OF DOC’S ORDERS
PRINCE Philip is no stranger to hospital stays after a raft of ailments over the past decade.
The Duke was last admitted at Christmas 2019 when he was driven from Sandringham to the King Edward VII Hospital.
That visit was described by Buckingham Palace as a precautionary measure which was for a pre-existing condition.
In January 2019, he needed treatment after the Land Rover he was driving on the Sandringham estate hit another vehicle. He has since handed in his driving licence. In April 2018, Prince Philip spent 11 days at the King Edward VII for a hip operation. And he spent two days there that June on the advice of his doctor.
The Duke was also admitted to the central London hospital in June 2017 after suffering an infection from a pre-existing condition following a day at Royal Ascot.
Previously, he had abdominal surgery in June 2013. And in June 2012, a bladder infection shortened his Queen’s Jubilee weekend. He was treated for a blocked coronary artery in December 2011.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article