Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Evil killer Wayne Couzens bought hairbands that he may have used "in order to maintain an erection" heard the Old Bailey as horrific details of the case that shocked the country were laid bare.

The shocking declaration was made during the Judge's sentencing remarks where the "unspeakably grim" nature of the ex-Met Police officer's actions against Sarah Everard were read out.

The former cop, 48, was jailed for the rest of his life for the kidnap, rape and murder of the 33-year-old marketing executive and "wonderful daughter and sister."

Couzens, then a serving officer, detained Sarah as she walked home from a friend’s house in Clapham to Brixton on March 3.

The twisted killer used his warrant card and cited coronavirus restrictions when he stopped Sarah, handcuffed her and bundled her into his hired car.

It is still not known when exactly the 48-year-old killed her, but it was revealed in court that the depraved sicko had made a series of purchases that were used during the assault on Sarah.

Court documents from the hearing in the Old Bailey stated that Couzens spent at least a month travelling to London "to research how best to commit" his crimes.

The court also heard that a police standard issue handcuff key was purchased from Amazon on 10 February and was found in the front of the car the killer hired and abducted Sarah with.

"The degree of preparation and the length of time over which it extended is to be stressed," said the judge in his sentencing remarks.

The judge added that self-adhesive carpet protector film was purchased on 28 February and delivered on 1 March, and 14 hair bands were purchased in a shop on 3 March at 8 pm.

Two minutes after booking a hire car, he ordered the 600mm x 100m roll of self-adhesive carpet protector film from Amazon.

The film was found when police searched the property following his arrest.

In the lead up to sentencing, prosecutor Tom Little QC said: "Some of it had been used and given the temporal proximity of the order to the hiring of the car the proper inference to draw is that it was intended to be used and was used during the course of the kidnap."

Adding to this point today, Judge Fulford added: "The protector film had been used but its precise purpose is unknown.

"The hairbands were either for use in order to maintain an erection or as a means of restraint. This has not been disputed."

Chillingly, Couzens also bought 30 litres of petrol a day after murdering Ms Everard. Couzens went to a BP petrol station at Whitfield Services, Dover, where he bought an empty green petrol can for £7.99 and filled it from one of the petrol pumps.

He would use that petrol to burn Miss Everard's body. A week after she disappeared, Ms Everard's remains were found in a woodland stream in Ashford, Kent, just metres from land owned by Couzens.

They had been disposed of inside a large builder's bag, and had to be identified through her dental records.

Two days after Ms Everard was last seen, Couzens was caught on CCTV buying two green rubble bags at B&Q and he also ordered tarpaulin and a bungee cargo net for delivery.

The court papers stated that Couzens had lied to his family about doing a nightshift before hunting for a victim.

Never want to miss a story like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!

"Instead, he covered extensive distances in the capital, beyond doubt, as suggested by Mr Little, hunting a lone young female to kidnap and rape.

"It follows from this that the defendant had planned well in advance, in all its unspeakably grim detail, what was to occur and when he encountered Sarah Everard all that was missing up to that point was his victim."

Passing sentence, Lord Justice Fulford said it was important that the impact of Sarah's death on her friends and family "must not be forgotten" and added that any sentence he imposed "must be just".

Justice Fulford added that he was "not in the slightest doubt" that Couzens deliberately used his status as a police officer to prey upon "an intelligent, talented and much-loved woman".

He went on to say: "Sarah Everard was a wholly blameless victim of a grotesquely executed series of offences which cumulated in her death.

"Her state of mind and what she had to endure on a journey of 80 miles would have been as bleak and agonising as it is to imagine."

Wayne Couzens stood with his head bowed throughout the sentencing hearing and did not look up as he was ordered by the judge to stand.

He shook slightly as he was jailed in front of his victim's family, who calmly looked on from the well of the court.

Sarah Everard's parents Jeremy and Susan clasped hands and hugged police officers after Couzens shuffled out of the dock to be taken down to the cells.

  • Crime
  • MET Police

Source: Read Full Article